Location: Northern tip of Plum Island, Ipswich Bay,
entrance to Merrimack River
Nearest city: Newburyport
42 48 54 N
70 49 06 W
Accessibility: The grounds are open all year; the
lighthouse is sometimes open for open houses.
Station established: 1788; Present tower built: 1898;
Construction materials: Wood
Tower height: 35 feet; Height of focal plane: 50 feet
Optic: Fourth-order Fresnel lens (1856), still in
Characteristic: Occulting green light; two eclipses
every 15 seconds
Other buildings still standing:1898 keeper's house
Active Coast Guard aid to navigation; the lighthouse
is owned by the City of Newburyport and is leased to the Friends
of Plum Island Light.
Friends of Plum Island Light, Inc.
|P.O. Box 381
Newburyport, MA 01950
Open houses are held on selected weekend days in summer. There
is a short ladder to climb to the top; sneakers are required.
Children must be at least 5 years old and 42 inches tall to climb to
the top. Tours are free, but donations to support the Friends
of Plum Island Light, a nonprofit organization dedicated to preserving
and restoring the lighthouse, are appreciated.
dates (all Sundays, 1 to 4 p.m.): MAY 26, JUNE 23, JULY
7, AUG 25, SEPT 15, SEPT 29, OCT 6, and also SATURDAY, AUG 3, 1 to 4 p.m.