- "The scenery in this neighborhood is most
romantic. On the east [Mt.] Sunapee lifts its high head... Sunapee
lake, extending ten miles in one direction and three miles in another,
can be plainly seen... One never tires, in summer, driving or walking
over the delightful roads, through pine groves, or beside brooks lined
with moss and shaded by the over-hanging trees... There is good fishing
in the vicinity. The proximity of the lake is an inducement to many who
love to fish from a boat, while the many brooks tempt those who love
the speckled trout."
- -- Sketch of Newport, 1870.
- For well over a hundred years beautiful ten-mile long,
three-mile wide Lake Sunapee has drawn summer vacationers. Vacationers
in the late 19th century arrived at the lake by train, then boarded
steamships to get to their destinations around the lake. A number of
large resort hotels and private estates lined the lake's shores.
- In 1891 the steamer Edmond Burke struck an
underwater ledge. This led to the construction of a lighthouse for $400
on Loon Island in 1893. The builders were the Woodsum Brothers, owners
of the steamships that serviced the lake.
- In 1896 repairs were being made to Loon Island Light when
it caught fire. The damage was repaired, but in 1960 lightning caused
the lighthouse to completely burn down. It was promptly rebuilt.
- The still-active, solar-powered lighthouse is owned by the
State of New Hampshire's Marine Patrol Bureau
and is maintained by the Lake
Sunapee Protection Association. It can be viewed from the deck
of the public tour boat Mt.