Please update your links and bookmarks accordingly. This site will no
longer be updated.
© Jeremy D'Entremont
Location: About 6 miles east southeast of Cape Neddick
Nearest town: York
The lighthouse is not open to the public. Access is by
boat only, and it is very difficult to land on the island.
The lighthouse can be seen
distantly from points along the shore, including Sohier Park at Cape
Neddick in York, but it is best seen by boat.
Station established: 1799 (day beacon), 1811 (lighthouse)
Present lighthouse built: 1855; Automated: 1978
43 07 18 N
70 28 36 W
Construction material: Granite; Height of tower: 133
feet; Height of focal plane: 137 feet
Earlier optic: Second-order Fresnel; Present optic:
VRB-25 (solar powered)
Characteristic: Flashing white every five seconds; Fog
signal: One blast every 10 seconds
Other buildings still standing: Storage building
Active U.S. Coast Guard aid to navigation; licensed to:
here to read more about ALF's efforts to preserve this lighthouse.
History / Bibliography
/ Cruises / Photos
Maine Menu / New England Menu / Back
© 1997-2012 Jeremy D'Entremont.
Do not reproduce any images or text from this website without
permission of the author.