Please update your links and bookmarks accordingly. This site will no
longer be updated.
Location: Conanicut Island, Narragansett Bay;
Nearest town: Jamestown, Rhode Island
41 26 58 N
71 23 59 W
Station established: 1749; Present lighthouse
built: 1856; Automated: 1972
Construction material: Granite; Height of tower: 45
feet; Height of focal plane: 64 feet
Other buildings still standing: 1856 keeper's
house, 1898 assistant keeper's house, oil house, storage building,
Active U.S. Coast Guard aid to navigation.
Museum in the keeper's house maintained by:
lighthouse is located in Beavertail State Park at the end of Beavertail
Road, at the southern tip of Conanicut Island. There is free parking. The
grounds are open to the public, and there is a museum in the
assistant keeper's house. The tower is not open to the public.
Earlier optic: Third-order Fresnel (1856); Present
optic: DCB 24 (left)
Characteristic: Flashing white every six seconds
Fog signal (left): One blast every 30 seconds
History / Bibliography / Cruises
Menu / New
England Menu / Back to Contents
© 1997-2012 Jeremy D'Entremont.
Do not reproduce any images or text from this website without
permission of the author.